Thursday, August 9, 2018

Malaysia - Penang - A tale of two restaurants

On this day, we went to the Gurney Plaza. It’s a rather big mall with very fancy stores, and a huge amount of eateries. After the toy shop, which was quite big, but I’ve been in bigger, we also went to the bookshop. It used to be my favourite place before I got my Kindle. I still like to browse, but don’t buy anymore. It was interesting to note that they had a large section for female readers, self-help, but a tiny fraction for sci-fi and fantasy. I guess partly because most people I know who read those actually did go over to ebooks, as they are generally very geeky. They also mostly had books in English there, very few in the local language. The kids’ section, however, was comparatively massive. Lots of books by age group, interest, even some author. I guess that market is still very much alive in paper form, unlike the novel market.



We had lunch at Din Thai Fung. Sadly, they only had room under the AC, so it was pretty cold. I don’t really get why people get rooms so cold in the summer. I guess some people dress up more, but most people are in very little clothing. We ordered to share steamed vegetable and pork dumplings, Pork XiaoLongBao, pork chop fried rice, and to drink, roselle sparkling, which I’ve never had, but was very good. I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it tasted like though. Maybe some sort of red berry would be the best estimate. I also loved the fried rice, it had very good flavours. We asked a bit later for some steamed rice, and they were rather late in delivering that. However, the food was very good.



In the afternoon I didn’t do anything to write about here, but in the evening, we went to an Indian restaurant that didn’t look like much. However, the food was very good. It's called Sri Ananda Bahwan Garden Cafe. And interesting thing we noted was that just after us a group of Indian people came in, and they got the menu right away. We got it after we asked for it. Not good hospitality. We had two types of korma, which I loved, some curry chicken and naans. The naans were perhaps a bit greasier than I would have liked. We didn’t spend a lot of time there, but the atmosphere was like Indian market, though I’ve never been to India.

No comments:

Post a Comment