Friday, August 10, 2018

Malaysia - Penang - Market and Tropical Spice Garden

On this day first we went shopping to a smaller market, Market & Food Complex Tanjung Bungah. We got various fruits and vegetables. I wanted to try dragon fruit, and jackfruit, so we got some of those. The market didn’t look very clean, but it was about what I expected. Ours didn’t used to look any better, but there was a major refurb some time ago. I took lots of pictures, even of some things that I had no idea about, but wanted to do a Google image search on. Of course, you also had your standard things, like apples, onions, garlic, peppers, chicken, but some things that I have definitely never seen at home, like small sharks. Or at least, I think they were sharks.



We also went to a shop nearby that sold things for baking. My cousin’s wife bakes a lot of bread, and she said that the regular flour she could buy in shops wasn’t very good for them. She baked her bread from Japanese white flour. Funnily, when we got to check out, the guy was like “you know this is Japanese flour, right?”. Or maybe not exactly like that, but it was implied. Because we didn’t see the great big letters on the package.

So, we went back home to drop things off, then back on the road for the Tropical Spice Garden. We got the tickets, and they gave us some bug repellent lemongrass spray. It did nothing for my cousin’s wife, as she was bit several times, and even I ended up with a bite. I usually don’t get them, apparently my blood repels bugs. The one that I did get quickly went away after I put some cream on it at home.



We wondered about the garden for a few hours. They gave us an audioguide, which was good, and the map was useful as well. We skipped the tea at the tea place, and sadly the jungle swing was very busy. There is an area where you can walk on rocks and they’re supposed to give you a foot massage. I tried it, but the bottom of my foot is so sensitive, I couldn’t even stand on it. Why it’s so hard to get shoes.

I enjoyed the garden a lot, it was very beautiful. I could see the plants of some spices that I used, and some I have never even heard of. I also took lots of pictures of beautiful flowers. I do love nature photography. I didn’t use the audioguide much, as my cousin’s wife has been here before and she also knows biology, so I mostly relied on her. At the exit there were several slides for kids. I went on to the shop, where I had to leave the audioguide.

The shop had lots of spices for sale, but I didn’t get any as most I could get at home, and the ones I couldn’t, I didn’t really want to experiment with. There were also natural products, souvenirs and cooking books.

We went on to the restaurant next door, the Tree Monkey. Got a seat at a traditional table where you sat on pillows. My knees aren’t very good, so I couldn’t kneel, but rather crossed my legs. The view from there was nice through the trees, and there was a cooling breeze coming from the sea. I thought it was one of the most fun places we’ve eaten definitely had that feel of you’re on a tropical island.

We got various dishes. I also got a funny purple drink called “Butterfly Pea Flower”. Again, indescribable taste, but nice. We got some spring roles, sweet and sour chicken and pineapple rice, but had to ask them to leave out the cashew, as I’m allergic. It was all very delicious, and they got the cashew thing right the first time around. Can’t tell you how often I have to send dishes back because they forget to leave out the nuts. I always let them know that I’m allergic, just to press on their minds that I’m not being picky. We ended up getting part of the meal packed away, as there was just too much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment