Saturday, August 11, 2018

Malaysia - Penang - The streets of Georgetown

It was a Saturday, so my cousin could also come with us. Therefore, we headed out to walk around Georgetown a bit. We found a parking spot on a lot for 5 MYR.

Georgetown is an interesting mixture of all the various peoples that have settled down on the Island. There’s an Indian part, and a Chinese part. Add to that the English influence, and you get an architecture that’s all over the place. Of course, there are the famous wall drawings. Some in better, some in worse conditions. The most famous one is the kids on a bicycle. 

I didn’t want to be in the picture with the drawing, I just wanted it to be the art. However, there were so many people wanting to take a picture with it, it was very hard. So I turned to the next people in line after waiting for a while, and asked them to give me a few seconds to just snap the damned picture already. Seriously, the amount of times I had to wait for people to just get out of my frame, I could probably add a year to my life.

We walked on, and there were many people selling souvenirs with the artwork on them. I’m not a huge souvenir person, so I avoided them. I also walked down a small side street that had a lot of art on it. At the end I saw this huge, very graphic one with two black people on it. I kind of liked that the most, because while the others were whimsical, this felt like it made an impact.




There was also art that could look like wall art standing in front of it, but was actually a kind of metal wire picture stood in front of the wall. I king of liked those as well, as they were very detailed.

We made a circle around the town, with me taking random pictures of things. The town itself is expectedly dirty and chaotic, but I’m not bothered by that. If I was, I wouldn’t go to most places. 

We passed through a place called the China House, which had various rooms packed one after the other. I took several pictures. Probably the garden area was my favourite, but we didn’t stop there. 






We had a light lunch at Gudang Café. The inside is a lot like the pubs in Budapest where they don’t refurb the building much. It was nice, and they had a big communal table. I had a chicken dish. It was okay, though not terribly good. The chicken was thigh, and seemed like the not so good bits were left in. The toilet, however, was clean and nice.

We went home afterwards. It was a rather short walk, but you can’t really do much with a small kid, so it was good for that. In the end I really didn’t miss not seeing more of it, as I felt like I would have needed to use an extra amount of hand sanitiser.


No comments:

Post a Comment