Friday, July 21, 2017

Portugal - Guimarães

The morning was spent with work, but lunch was fun again. I had lunch at a really great restaurant, Restaurant Pevidem Grelhados. It's not in Braga, but S. Jorge de Selho. Strangely enough, the place doesn't have a website, nor a Tripadvisor page, just a Facebook page. The food was very good. There was first a sort of selection of small dishes that everyone could eat from. I especially enjoyed the crab. Getting the meat out of the claws is hard work, but I learned how to rather quickly. Afterwards there was also some meat cooked at the table, but I was so full of crab, I only had very little of that. For dessert, I picked a cream with caramel and whiskey. However, this is where the scare happened. I didn't know, and there was nothing to indicate on the menu, that there were small bits of nuts in the cream. They were so tiny, at first I thought they were caramel. I haven't had any nuts in years, because I'm allergic. Not deadly allergic, luckily, but uncomfortably. Also, since I've not had any nuts for years, I had no idea how my body would react. Did my allergy get worse? Did it disappear? I got the allergy because of an immune disorder I have, so how it progresses, if at all, is anybody's guess. I was quite scared, and for the next half hour I paid extra attention to my body. Luckily, my allergy was the same as when I first noticed it. A few minutes of sore throat. Kind of like if someone pinched your oesophagus, and held it. Still, the restaurant should be careful with these things. That is why I think every restaurant should include allergy information.

Afterwards, we went to Guimarães, specifically the Pousada Mosterio de Guimarães. It's a hotel converted from an old monastery. Very pretty place, high up on the hill. Gorgeous views from it. The weather was very nice, and kind of wished that I could take a dip in the pool. The church was closed, though not unused. They still open it for weddings. A wedding there must be really nice, great place for pictures. Also, tiles on the walls! Love the tiles.

Next, we went to Parque da Penha, in Guimarães. The park is above the Pousada, and it also has a church. It's a very pretty park to check out, with great views of the city below. There are actually several little religious sites to view. That was a bit strange to me, but this is Portugal. I have two videos of the park.




After a quick run-around the park, we went down into the actual historical centre. I fell in love! It's beautiful, medieval, has charm and an air that I've never experienced before. I could seriously spend days just wondering around.



No comments:

Post a Comment