Sunday, August 19, 2018

Japan - Kyoto

This was the day I was going to Kyoto. I was happy to see another sunny day, but also dreading the heat it would bring. I got up a bit later than I wanted, but it was very late when I got in. I had a very small breakfast, and was on my way to the train.

The plan was to take the metro from Nipponbashi station and then on with connecting trains to Kyoto. The description on Google Maps was a bit confusing, as it once said, stay on the vehicle, but it also said it was a different line. I wasn’t sure how that would work, so I only got my ticket to Tenjinbashisuji 6-chome Station. I figured that if I went further, then I can always make up the difference.

Since the day before I had the Pass, I didn’t have to deal with the details of the metro system. On the day I arrived I managed to get the tickets with some help, and I had watched videos previously as to how to use the metro in Japan. So basically, you have many kinds of machines. As a tourist, you’ll probably not going to get the top-up card, because that can be as much hassle as getting regular tickets. Day passes are great, but sometimes you don’t need to travel all that much in one day. That’s when you pay line by line. Now in Osaka there is really just one metro, but several trains. Those are more expensive, so metro is better. You can work out on Google how it’s cheaper for where you want to go, as they will tell you the prices. Now you get to these machines, and as I found, there are two kinds. In one you put the money in first, the other after you selected the ticket. If the button for ticket selection isn’t working, or there, then it’s the first type. How much you have to pay you can look up on Google, or on one of the maps. Usually these maps have things in English as well, but not always. A trick that you can use if you are lost is just pay once you arrive. To do that, you get the cheapest available ticket. You go into the station, get to where you want to go. You have to put your ticket through again to get out of the station, so make sure you take it with you when you enter. If your ticket has less than what you should have paid, there is another machine nearby. You just need to put your ticket in there, it’ll tell you how much more you have to pay, and you’re done. No one is going to take you away in handcuffs.

So on that day I selected the first station where I may need to change, and just went with that. I got on the train, and it reached the station. From the metro car you can always see big signs that will tell you where you are, what’s the next and the preceding station. I saw on that board that the next station was where I needed to go, so I stayed on board. That was when the metro became a train. It went above ground, and that was why Google had it as a different line, while staying in the same car. By this time I had turned around in my seat, which was facing backward, to look out the window and do videos. People were eyeing me, because I wasn’t sitting properly, but I didn’t care. I wanted to see what was going on outside. The metro car took me as far as Awaji Station. I went down the steps to look for my train. A station manager saw that I was looking around lost, and asked me where I was going. I told him Arashiyama Station. The train was actually leaving from the opposite tracks from where I got off. So I went back up, and sat down on a bench to wait. The train that looked like another metro came quickly, and I sat down.

At Katsura Station, I had to change to a proper train. While I was waiting, I was taking selfies, and I marveled at how clean a station bench could be. In Hungary, they are usually something that you only sit on if the announcer says your train is 10 minutes late when it’s already 20 minutes late. Then you know you’re in there for the long haul. My train in Japan, however, arrived just as the sign said it would.

It looked very interesting. Kind of like something from an older era, which gave it a certain charm. The auburn cars gleamed in the light, and the green and brown interior felt comfortable. I sat down, and waited for it to start. When it pulled in, everyone got off, so this was the last stop for it. Meanwhile I could make use of the station wifi. A few official people walked through the train, checking to make sure no luggages were left. They just found one, when a guy arrived in a rush. It was his bag. Then a younger guy came, and started to look around the seat in front of me. I asked him if he lost something, and he said money. There wasn’t anything, so he moved on, after seeming to have a brainwave. Maybe he had been sitting in another car. I didn’t want to lecture him on keeping stuff in pockets.



So the train finally pulled off, and it didn’t have a long way to go. When we did arrive, I didn’t even try to put my ticket through. I knew I underpaid. I made it up, and went outside. There was really not much to go on, but everyone else was heading in one direction, so I just followed. The most people always tend to go to the tourist places. I passed through a nice row of possible restaurants, but as it was morning everything was still closed. I had used the station wifi to set my path on Google Maps, so I easily found the Arashiyama Monkey Park that was my first destination. On the way I saw a couple get off a boat and be lead to their lodgings. Must have been quite the way to get to where you were staying. They were greeted by some people from their ryokan. It looked nice from the outside. The name of the place was Hanaikada, and when I looked it up online later, I found that it’s a pretty cool place.



Initially, I didn’t plan on going to the Monkey Park, but then I saw a couple of pictures and I decided I wanted to see the monkeys. It was easy to find the path going up the hill. At the entrance, there was also a small shrine, which was very picturesque. I got my ticket, and kept on up. A bit on the way there was a sign for no photos going up, which was a bit weird. There was quite a climb. There were several benches along the way, and the trees did provide a nice shade. However, the heat was relentless. At one stop there was some information about the monkeys. I did spot a grammar mistake. Going up was very slow. It was hot and I had to keep stopping in fear of overheating. 

I spotted a monkey on the way. There was some sort of rest house as well, but it didn’t look very inviting. It was next to a small playground. A part of the way down actually had a slide, but it looked very child-sized, otherwise I would have gone down on it. My fat behind would have got stuck.

I reached the top and was immediately directed to the little house there. At the door I was given a small wet towel out of a ice box, and entered. There were places to sit, toilets on a corridor, and the place was cooled in spite of not having windows. That was where you could feed the monkeys from. There was a steel screen instead of windows, and the monkeys would pick the food up through there. Like you being in the cage and the monkeys outside. You couldn’t just feed the monkeys anything, you had to get it in there, as there was a little shop. Not very expensive, 100 yen for a small pack.

I took some video and pictures inside to cool down, and then went outside. It was fun watching the monkeys interact, climb all over the house, fight with each other. There was also a pond, but surprisingly not a lot of them were using it in spite of the heat. I would have loved to jump in there.



The view from up there was also amazing. You could see all of Kyoto. As I was filming the view, I noticed two birds of prey fighting in the air. Wasn’t sure what kind they were, but must have been massive, as they looked big from even the ground.

I decided to feed the monkeys myself. I mostly gave food to a mum with a tiny baby. The little monkey tried to get some of the apple for itself, but the mum kept evading its grabby hands. It was quite funny. Then I stamped the back of my ticket. I did originally want to get a book for stamps, but in the end I didn’t. Before moving on, I used the toilet and it was very neat and clean. Totally not what I expected in a wooden building.



There was supposed to be a walk on, but because of the mudslides it was closed off. I had to go back the way I came. From there I walked to my next destination, Tenryuji Temple.



On the way I saw several rickshaws. There was an older guy being pulled by a younger man and it felt so old world. There was also a coffee place that looked very popular as there was a line. I walked along the river, and saw several little boats. Apparently you could rent one. I never really got the point of those things. I suppose they could be romantic. To me, it's a lot of pain for not much gain. 

I walked up a small side street towards the temple and there was what I think was a Buddhist cemetery. It was beautiful with all the statues. 

Then I entered the temple complex. You can get a ticket for just the temple or just the garden or a combo ticket. I got the later. The temple ticket lets you walk around the buildings. You need to take off your shoes first and put them on one of the many shelves. 

I started out in the building called the “hojo”. That is the place where the ceremonies take place. It used to be the Abbot’s quarters. I have never walked on tatami mats before and I discovered my new favourite floor. It was like getting your feet massaged while walking. I first went around the big building. There are a few things to see inside, and you can also see the garden around the building. I went around clockwise and got to the pond, which is beautiful. A lot of people were sitting just gazing
at it. I wanted to join in. After I took off my shoes I put on some nylon socks I had in my bag. That was a mistake. It was fine walking on the mat, but as I wanted to sit down to look at the pond for a while, I had to step on a part that was wood. I didn’t expect the wood to be lacquered, and it be so slippery. The moment I stepped on it, my foot slipped from under me, and I fell onto two girls! I was so embarrassed! Luckily they were more concerned about my well-being, and they said it was okay. I was fine, though my ankle hurt for a bit. Sitting there, I noticed a very handsome couple in traditional clothing. I named them “the beautiful couple” in my head. I thanked the girls again before getting up, and then went on to take pictures of this massive cloud dragon by Wakasa Butsugai. That’s where you need the panorama feature on your camera. 



As I walked around the pond, I kept taking more pictures of it. It’s called the Sogen Pond Garden, and part of its feature is that the scene is different from each angle. This garden is very ancient, as it was in a book called “Illustrated Guide to the Famous Gardens and Scenic spots in the Capital”, which was a sightseeing guide published in 1799. According to the pictures, the garden had remained virtually unchanged since then. It does make you think of all the people who had enjoyed that scenery through the centuries. Maybe emperors have walked by the same lake, strolling with their wives or concubines, marvelling at the beauty that humans and nature can create working together.



I also love using the painting setting on my camera for just such occasions, because you can get some really pretty pictures, almost like an actual painter painting them. I can’t draw myself, but I think I’m good at taking pictures.


There was a resting place on the right, and people were lounging around on the mats. It looked really nice, and I promised myself to take a few minutes and sit there myself on the way back. I’m terrible at taking rests while I’m walking around. I continued on in a covered walkway. To the left people could walk in the garden, but to the right you could only look into the garden from the walkway. I especially loved the little stream that made its way to the pond from that area. There was also a large bell in the corridor. It lead to the Tahoden, the Hall of Many Treasures. You can’t go into the hall, just look in. It’s a large hall, with a statue of Emperor Go-Daigo in the middle. On the left side there are tables, and at the time there was a young woman writing something. I went back to the resting place afterwards, and sat down a bit. I tried to sit properly, though my knees could only tolerate it for a few seconds. I got up in my usual comical way, and was off to get my shoes and have my walk around the garden. 

The garden entrance was to the side and I could view the pond from a different angle. After that I headed in the direction of the Tahoden. The cicadas were very loud and it reminded me of anime that would take place in Japan. I wasn’t sure which one I was remembering, but there were kids in a village, sitting on a porch of an old style Japanese house, hanging out in between risking their lives. I guess that could fit several anime I’ve seen. In one there were watermelons. I felt like I was one of those kids.
After I passed the Tahoden, there was a pond with frog statues. If you bounced a coin that has a 5 in it off its head, it would bring you good luck. I passed on that, as in high school I could never even get a ball through the hoops. Next was a rest stop, and also a sort of a stool. You could stand on it, and it would give you the perfect height to get a selfie with the bamboos.


The exit was not far away. There was also a garden, but at that time of the year most of the flowers had already bloomed, so I just exited into the famous Arashiyama Bamboo Grove. The massive bamboos towered over me, covering even the sky with their green trunks. It was like being swallowed up by them. There were a lot of people, but I didn’t feel that the crowd was oppressing. It felt rather like we were all enjoying this phenomenon of nature as a collective. I went to the end of the lane, and then turned back. I was trying to figure out how to get to the bus stop that would take me to my next destination.









I walked past the exit I just came out of. Next to it there was a cemetery and then the Nonomiya Shrine. It looked very interesting, but also so full of people, I didn’t go in. I came across some vendors, and then more, until I reached a wider street full of people. There were eateries all around, also some shops selling souvenirs. I was a bit hungry, but it was very hot. I knew that if I eat in such heat, I would get sick. I saw a few vendors that had ice cream, so I got one that had green tea and sakura. It was very delicious and helped me a lot. I still had a problem finding the bus stop, so I just sat down and ate my ice cream. Then I walked to the train station nearby, hoping that the wifi there would help me. It didn’t, but I spotted a 7-11. I went in, got on their wifi, and had an inclination as to where the stop was. I also got a bottle of water. It was then that I realised that the cashier will throw away your trash if you ask them.

The thing about trash in Japan is that it’s an absolute no-no to just leave it somewhere. However, there are no trash cans. So you can walk around with trash in your hand, and not be able to do anything with them. However, as I realised then, convini cashiers will handle your trash for you.

I had a look around a shop at the station, and then looked around some more, and finally found the bus stop. In fact, just in time to catch the bus I wanted to take. It was actually late, though I have read that buses in Kyoto are often late because of traffic. Of course, there was no bench to sit on. The heat was getting to me and I felt pretty exhausted. The #11 bus finally came.

I had to get on in the middle. Now in many parts of the world you get on the bus at the front and pay in advance. In Japan, it’s the other way around. You get on in the middle, and pay when you get off. I’m not exactly sure how paying works, because I tallied up my bus expenses on Google during my prep, and found that if I got a day ticket for the bus, 600 yen, then that would be less than what I was going to spend. Also, such a ticket had the added benefit of not having to worry about change. You’re always supposed to give exact fare.

I got on the bus, and sat down. There was air conditioning, thankfully! I had a drink from my bottle and sat back to enjoy the ride. It took me around the Northern part of town, away from the tourist area into what looked more residential. Then we began to climb a hill, and it came to a stop at a bus depot. I knew I had to change buses, but I didn't know that it would be the final stop for that bus. 

We all got off, and were herded by a couple of men in uniform to a waiting area. There were more people than seats, but at least there was some. A Chinese family with many adults and some children, mostly girls also waited. I watched the girls play. They tried linking their hands together and lifting one another. I smiled at how cute they were, and remembered playing when I was their age.

The bus arrived and we all piled on. I still haven't bought my day ticket, but I figured I'd do it when I was getting off at the temple. It was quite a long ride and I watched as people played musical chairs with the priority seats. I couldn't give mine to anyone. My feet and back were already killing me. The bus started to fill up, and after a while it was hard to squeeze anyone new on it. I followed the passage of the bus on my phone. I noticed quite a lot of people got on and off at a shrine called Ryōan-ji. When I saw on the bus’ screen that my stop was next, I pressed the signal button next to my seat. At Kinkaku-ji I wasn't alone leaving the bus and I finally bought my day ticket. I had the amount prepared and in my pocket the whole ride. 



Kinkaku-ji was easy to find from the bus stop. I just followed the sea of people. It was near as well. I walked down a path lined by trees, as the shrine was nestled in a park. The ground was covered not by grass, but moss and dirt, making the scene look different from what I was used to. 

I reached the ticket office. There was quite a line, and I had totally forgotten that there was a ticket. It moved quickly, and I was free of 400 yen, cash only. After that I still had a way to go, but soon enough, the well known site of the Golden Pavilion was before me. It was as magnificent in real life as on pictures. The gold gleamed in the sunlight, the reflection in the pond was perfection, the surrounding nature cut to the typical Japanese roundness. It was exactly like the pictures. And of course, I wanted one of my own. 

For that, I had to wait a bit. There were again, people to guide me. They didn't let too many people at once to the viewing point, as that would have resulted in a chaotic shuffling. However, I may have slipped in a bit prematurely. I'm Hungarian. I'm not good with lines. 

I took my pictures, video, selfie, the usual stuff. Then we could walk around the pond and pass more closely to the pavilion. It is a shame that it's not the original one. That was burned down by a deranged monk in the 50s. However, they rebuilt it faithfully to the original. A lot of things in Japan were like that. Most buildings get destroyed periodically by fires, earthquakes, all sorts of natural disasters, or wars. However, they just keep rebuilding. 

After the pavilion there was a small charm shop, and I couldn't resist getting one that was for good luck, with the design according to my birth month. As it turns out, I’m quite the sucker for the charms sold in these places. I took some pictures in the garden, but that in this time of the year wasn’t very impressive. After that there was a little shrine, but I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on there. At the exit there was a toilet, and some eateries. Apparently you could get some tea and traditional sweets. I didn’t really have time, and I was actually glad that Kinkaku-ji proved to be so small and quick.






I went back outside to the bus stop, and got on the bus going back towards where I came from. Then I remembered something. I got my phone out, and realised that I was supposed to go in the other direction! The #59 went on and then headed South, towards Kiyomizu-dera. I signalled to get off and crossed the road to the bus stop. I was quite mad at myself, as I was doing so well in time, and I’ve wasted many valuable minutes. Eventually the right bus came. I was very glad that I got the day ticket, because at least my forgetfulness only cost me time, not money as well. The bus really took me around the city, from the smaller houses to the bigger ones. I eventually exited the bus on a busy street with modern buildings not too far from the Nishiki Market. I was supposed to change to the #84 bus. I thought it would go from the same stop, but it wasn’t on the board. So I walked up and down, looking for the bus. Even tried to get some locals to help, but they had no idea. Using the station WiFi, I plotted a new course to Kiyomizu-dera. I had to round the corner, cross a bridge, and get on a bus in Gion. I was actually very glad that I took that walk, as I crossed the Shijo Dori, and could take a few pictures of the Kamo River. I had to wait for a while for the bus to arrive, though there were actually several going towards my destination from that stop. It was a short ride, and from then on I just had to follow everyone else going uphill.

By then, going uphill was torture. It was hot, I was getting tired, and my feet and back were hurting. I soldiered on. After a while, there were more and more shops lining the street. Souvenirs, sweets everywhere. I saw a shop that looked good, and decided to check if I could pay with a card there. I was burning through my cash quicker than expected, but I counted on paying with a card mostly. Instead, most places were cash only. At that shop they said that over 2000 yen I could pay with it, so I got together that much stuff. I saw some cute earrings, that sort of things, and a lovely fridge magnet with a maiko on it. 


I finally reached Kiyomizu-dera itself. It had a magnificent gate, and beyond that several buildings. The red declared itself from afar. I dragged myself up the stairs, and wanted to go on, but I started to get very hot, my back was becoming even more painful, and I felt faint. I admitted to myself that I couldn’t go on. I saw some stone benches in the shade, shuffled to one, and collapsed on it. The stone felt wonderful against my back. I got out a cooling towel from my pack, rubbed my forehead, neck, and arms down, then put it on my forehead. I swore to myself that I would rest there until I felt better. I also had to acknowledge that I couldn’t pressure myself so much, to the point of exhaustion every day. I concentrated on the blue sky, the fluffy clouds passing above, the sound of various people coming and going. Then I took out my phone, and decided to read a little. I was almost reluctant to get up, once I finally felt somewhat rested.

I gathered myself and started to climb the first set of stairs leading to the Sai-mon, the West Gate. As I was climbing, I saw a satchel with the text “Don’t let your dreams be dreams”. This was very poignant on my second day in Japan, as going to Japan was my dream. Therefore, I didn’t let that dream of mine remain a dream. In fact, as I was walking, I knew that this particular dream of mine wouldn’t be fulfilled with just the one trip. As foreign as Japan was to everything that I’ve known in my life so far, it still felt familiar. Maybe it was the decade of watching dramas, but sometimes there are places in the world that just click. Japan was that for me.

I took my pictures and videos around the two huge buildings, careful not to disturb a guy taking an insane amount of pictures of a girl dressed in kimono. She was beautiful, and I got the sense that she was some sort of model. Maybe they were taking them for a promotion or a portfolio.

Then I got my ticket for the inner part of the temple and went deeper inside. There was a covered corridor with bells jingling in the wind, playing a symphony of nature. I was mesmerized by their song, and spent a good amount of time trying to find the perfect way to capture it. Afterwards, I saw the place where people were trying to pick up a staff made of metal, that according to legend used to belong to a monk. I went there, and raised it quite easily. The trick was to raise it slowly and with two hands.

Next came a very famous part of the temple. It’s called the Kiyomizu Stage, and it’s the place where people used to jump off of to have their wishes granted. Since it’s 13 metres high, that wasn’t a very healthy thing to do. It was actually originally built to host all sorts of performances. Sadly, when I visited, it had scaffolding around it, because the roof was being renovated. I checked, and it would take until February, 2020. I was planning on returning to Kyoto anyway, and not next year, so the next time I go, it should be okay. I was a bit saddened by this, but I should be used to it. Often when I visit famous historic sights, there’s scaffolding around them. It got ridiculous in 2009, when in Munich all the churches were under renovation.

I had to take my shoes off to go to the deeper part of the main hall, but there wasn’t much to see, so I quickly went on. There were some nice buildings, but I really wanted to check out one that I saw from the stage, the Koyasu Pagoda, which was for easing childbirth, but it was also a very neat photo opportunity. The Pagoda was small enough to easily fit into a picture, but pretty enough to be worth taking pictures of. It was a bit of a walk away, but the path was surrounded by trees, the sun was not so harsh through the leaves, so it was very pleasant.

When I got there, there were some Spanish people taking pictures in front of it. I waited patiently, but once they finished, they started to chat right in front, in the place that provided the best angle to take a picture of the Pagoda. I stared at them with my camera in hand for a while, hoping that they’ll realise they’re in the way. Seriously people, take your pictures, I’m fine with that, but once you’re done, don’t block other people. There was plenty of space to the side to chat. Therefore, once I deemed that I have given them enough time to step aside on their own, I decided to make my presence known. Sadly, with all the Japanese swirling around in my head, I couldn’t remember much Spanish once more. Thus, I only loudly said “por favor”, and raised my camera. They finally noticed me, and realised what I wanted. They left the frame, and I thanked them, able to take my pictures.

I returned to the main part of the temple, as there was still one more thing to do. The Otowa Waterfall is really what the temple got its name from. “Kiyomizu” means “clear water”, and the water here is said to be especially clean. The waterfall is sacred, and the three streams are said to grant one of three things. Now in some places they say that the three streams don’t hold any specific meanings, but on other sites I read that from the drinker’s viewpoint, the one to the left is good for wisdom, the middle one for longevity and the one to the right is helpful for good matchmaking. I went with this interpretation, and wanted to drink from the longevity and the matchmaking one. There was of course a line, but at least I could observe the people doing it properly, and I followed their example. What you do once you get one of the metal cups with long handles - sanitised by a machine that gives out UV radiation - is you first clean your hands with the first cup of water. Pour it on one and then the other. Next you fill the cup again, pour it into your hand and drink from the hand. Not the cup. Then you do the other waterfall. To do three is said to be greedy, which is never a good thing. Once you drank from the second stream, you hold the cup upright, and let the water pour out that way. Now in most magical traditions, that’s the sacrifice. If you think about it, in most ancient religions you give a piece of your food and drink to the gods as an offering.

How did the water taste? Cool and refreshing. Very clean, beautiful stream water.

I felt giddy having done that, as watching all those people go through the same ritual was a bonding experience with humanity itself. It was interesting to see that some people just drank, but others prayed to the deity behind the waterfall as well. There was one older woman who prayed more than others. I always get the sense when people do that that they have a deep pain, and I feel inclined to go to them and try to help. I think that's what disturbs me about praying the most, when it's clearly out of desperation.




I was getting very hungry, and decided to leave the temple. The sun was going down in earnest, and I still had a shrine to go. I originally planned to walk to my final destination, but I didn't have time. As I descended the hill on top of which Kiyomizu-dera stood, I saw that all the shops were closing. I wondered if I could grab a bite of something from somewhere. I saw one of those mochi, green tea ice cream places, and ended up getting one. I wasn't that keen on the green tea ice cream, it was a bit bitter for me. I did love the red bean paste though. It's what they traditionally use for sweetening things instead of sugar, and that is something that I'd love to take home. I'm not sure about calories though. 

I took my time resting and eating at a kind of small square with lots of vending machines. I wasn't feeling well again. The heat and lack of food were probably getting to me, and the busy schedule was harder to keep up with under such conditions. However, I reminded myself of my favourite saying, “mind over matter”, and walked to the bus stop at the bottom of the hill. There I could use the WiFi to check how to get to Fushimi Inari Taisha. I worked it out and the first bus came right away. Then I needed to walk a bit and find a metro / train, go a stop, and I would be there. On the way, I found a convini and bought a water. I did see lots of vending machines, but everything is more expensive in them, and being such a scrooge, I'd rather get them in stores. 

I went underground, and could quickly buy the ticket. I got on the first train that arrived. As I got on, I noticed that the train was a lot nicer than the one I came with. Then the announcer said it was an express. I couldn't find a list of stops right away, so I accessed the WiFi and set Google maps to show what my location was. I had already passed the stop for the shrine. I was thinking of what to do. The train was going to Osaka. I could get off and take a train back, or stay on the express and call it a day. I decided on the later. It was getting dark, and my body was calling out for rest. I found a seat, settled down and on the strong WiFi called my mum. Fushimi Inari Taisha would just have to wait until my next visit. 

I wondered what to have for dinner. Wasn't feeling like anything big, and frankly, I've eaten so much Asian food, my stomach was starting to rebel and ask for something more familiar. Fries. If you know me, you know that fried potatoes is the dish I can eat any day, every day. So I looked up McDs in my way. I groaned at myself for even thinking about it, but I have heard that it was different here, so I justified it by that.



I got off the train and just decided to take the first exit upstairs. It can be difficult to find your way around underground, especially because the GPS can’t find you. When I went outside, I found myself by the river, with city lights and a bridge lit up, a stream of water gushing out, sparkling with yellow light. I enjoyed the sight, and then went on to find the McD. On the way I stopped to get drinks at a shop, and then got to the McD. This type of open-air counters we only have in malls, but they seemed to be common in Japan. They had a sale for fries and chicken nuggets, so I got two deals. I took them to go, and hurried to the next metro station. Fries are no good nuked.

I got off at a station I hadn’t been to before, which was also near my apartment. I walked down a different street than before, and found that the houses around there were very interesting. They all had beautiful traditional gates, because in fact, they were all small Buddhist temples! In the darkness I didn’t bother taking pictures, but I was planning on taking some during the day, on my way to Universal Studios.

I ate my food at home. It really was different. I was sure it was the oil, because I’m very familiar with the taste of the regular sunflower oil, and that wasn’t it. It was nice, though strange, and my stomach could finally feel comfortable. I had a great sleep afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the tips, i will be in Kyoto in Jan and this will come in handy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! When I'm done with the blog entries for days, then I intend to make compilations of my tips for Japan. It will take a while though, because so many things happened in Japan!

      Delete